Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Locals


Spiddal has been described to me as mostly a summer location where people from the bustling cities in Ireland head down during June-August to enjoy a quiet warm seaside country escape. The locals however stick around the rain, wind, and flooding of the fall, winter, and spring months. Think of your typical rural Nebraska town then add some funny accents and better beer and you basically have Spiddal. The locals are best described and hardworking and quick witted. They’ll show you where the post office is but have a bit of a laugh at you for having to ask- so bring a thicker skin (both to fair the light hearted banter and cold Atlantic winds). They are especially interested in the ideas of branding, “ponies” (horses), and the amount of land/guns you own. Top asked questions of this trip so far:

1.       American?

2.       Where’s Nebraska?

3.       Are you voting for this Trump fellow?

Fair warning to those who are heading this direction soon, READ UP ON CURRENT EVENTS- I like to consider myself well read on politics and the happenings of the states, trust me Irish people know more and they will ask you about it and you will feel like an idiot not being able to hold your own in those conversations.

Overall I consider my interactions with a man named Shamus as the prime example of the locals: He was an older man who asked me the top three questions which got us talking. He asked about land and then about cattle, talked about how he was born in the same spot he watches TV at, he drinks 3 pints of Guinness every night “for good health”, loves his Irish soap operas, smokes like a chimmey, and before he left I bought him two fingers of Jamieson and he patted my head and offered to take me salmon fishing when the waters warm up. Like I said funny accents and better beer- but still with an aftertaste of Nebraska life.


No comments:

Post a Comment