Sunday, February 28, 2016

Dublin and The Aran Islands


Well it’s been a busy week for me here. Headed out to the Aran Islands, which began quite miserably with a rough and busy ferry ride. Our hostel (much like everywhere else in Ireland) lacked warmth and it was rainy and cold. We walked out Dun Aonghasa though and never in my life have I felt so small. It was like standing on the edge of the world, you lay on your stomach and you scoot to the edge and feel the air and water splashing up from the waves of the ocean smashing against the cliffs. The locals as always are very kind and excited to share on the history of the island so be sure if your ever out there to ask around for it. Also waterproof pants is going to cost you around 10 euro but believe you me- it is going to be your greatest investment of your Ireland time.

We also spent some time in Dublin- that was an excellent little lesson in navigation for the group, which trust me is much harder than it looks. We went to Kilmainham Geol which was very sobering- learning and physically being at the place which sparked this uprising for an entire country. I learned about Constance Markievicz who is now my soul sister- if you have never heard of her I really recommend you look her up as soon as you can. She was basically a woman of great intellect that showed the boys how it was done and wasn’t afraid to get her hands dirty. We also wandered around Christ Church which is where the show the Tudors was filmed partly, I of course didn’t learn of this till after so I will definitely be returning to nerd out more after the program is over.

1 comment:

  1. You are learning SO much during your stay! You are far braver than I would be looking out over those cliffs!

    ReplyDelete