Monday, April 11, 2016

I climbed a mountain


I climbed a mountain. Well half of a mountain, which believe me when I say that in and of itself is a huge feat for me. None of us were exactly prepared for our little pilgrimage up Croagh Patrick.

On the cramped bus ride there we stopped to look at Croagh Patrick from afar, it seemed deceptively small in my eyes in comparison to the many drives through the Rocky Mountains I’ve done and my camping trip to the Grand Canyon this past summer. I remember thinking to myself, this is it? Upon arrival the appearance of Croagh Patrick was again misleading. I mean there was an Ice Cream stand and pub set up at the bottom so how bad could this place possibly be? It was a tad bit chilly so most of us (expecting leisurely trails and scenic stopping points) threw on our coats forgot our water bottles and began the hike.

Quickly we learned just how wrong we all were. The incline up the mountain at times was hands and feet crawling pace and the trail up the mountain was littered with loose rocks, boulders, streams, and slippery stones where the rain water had rushed through. Some of us couldn’t even make it half way to the half way point. We were shedding the layers of clothes that we were all so convinced we needed at the bottom and wishing we still had our water bottles. The support was overwhelming though from strangers; many times we passed by encouraging smiles and words of support.

Realistically I understood there was no way my out of shape butt was going to get me clear to the top, but through the persistent and sometimes annoying (in the best way) reassurance from my friend Carly I slowly made my way to the half way point. We picked smaller goals so that the dip which indicated the half way point seemed less overwhelming. Make it to that third boulder on the left and then that first one in the middle and then gradually the dip got closer and closer until finally I pulled myself up and over the last little bit to reach the half way point.

The halfway point may seem like such a small thing but to me personally standing there gasping for the cold air and looking out over the valley I felt like I hadn’t felt that accomplished personally in my strength in a long time. Truly an amazing experience for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment